Nestled secretively in a valley lush with vineyards, forests, abundant water and ancient oak trees, lies Langverwagt, a historic working farm. It is not far from Cape Town, boasting spectacular views of Table Mountain.
Langverwagt (also historically known as Lang Verwacht and Langverwacht) is a place of quiet charm and famed elegance, ideally suited for the weary traveller, businessperson or tourist. It is also well known for hosting exclusive and memorable weddings.
Although essentially a country residence situated in the Cape wine country, this proud establishment is close to Cape Town and it’s international airport, all major highways and some of the finest and most modern amenities and sports facilities.
Several exclusive as well as popular and family style restaurants are within easy reach, as are a range of international standard leisure locations including a casino, famous wine farms and theme parks. The Cape’s unspoilt beaches, towering mountains and rugged coastline, from Cape Point to the top of Table Mountain are an easy drive away, so too, Cape Town’s Victoria and Alfred Waterfront.
While you stay in comfort and style at Langverwagt, we will be happy to recommend and arrange your tour and leisure itinerary to make your visit a truly memorable one.
The Dutch East India Company granted Langverwagt to Jean le Roux of Normandy in 1721. The oldest building on the estate is from about this period, it has been carefully restored and is presently used as an elegant guest house.
The main house dates from 1800 and this is commemorated on the gable in a style typical of that period. It was probably built by Jan Morel, who had acquired the farm in September 1793. Sadly, this building was partially destroyed by fire in 1900, and was later rebuilt in the Victorian style. As architectural features of a century ago, the stone decoration and roof construction on the house are both highly unusual.
The original Cape Dutch wine cellar, which is used as the reception venue, dates to 1800. For two decades, the top part of the cellar (1780) was used as a chicken coop and some of the nesting boxes are still visible. The coop was incorporated into the cellar following a revival in the fortunes of the wine industry around 1820.
In 1829 the farm was acquired by Pieter de Waal (son of Arend), whose son was David de Waal. Both were famous at the time as members of parliament in what was then the Cape Colony. Pieter and his wife Susanna lie buried in the historic walled farm graveyard and David is featured prominently in two books written shortly after his death entitled “Die de Waals van Langverwacht” and “Die Lewe van David Christiaan de Waal”. Pieter de Waal retired to the farmhouse at Zevenfontein (Zevenfontein woonplaats, also known as De Erf ), selling Langverwagt to his son, Adriaan de Waal, in 1870. This historic heart of Langverwagt – the original homestead, wine cellar, outbuildings, werfmuur and graveyard, is still an independent farm today. It is also still blessed with its natural fountain – a steady stream of clear and sweet water which runs all year round.
Although the de Waal family rebuilt the house following the fire in 1900, they sold the farm to a tin mining company in 1903 for the then huge price of 30 000 pounds.
Tin was mined at Langverwagt and surrounding farms until the 1930’s. All the tin in the area was brought there to be washed.
The le Roux family acquired the farm in the late 1990’s – it was a love affair with the ideal of gently restoring this grand place to its former glory. Fanie and Janette have combined their respective talents and experience most successfully in achieving great success to this end – the impeccable vineyards, restored buildings, lush gardens and seductive aromas wafting from the kitchen are living proof. Their sons Robert, Pierre and Fanie and daughter Juria are all actively and enthusiastically involved in turning over fresh soil in this venture.
These efforts have resulted in a true haven for all visitors to the farm’s quiet beauty.
Pictured top left: Fanie and Janette le Roux on honeymoon in 1961 – the start of a formidable and famed combination of talents